Friday, February 06, 2009

MY NEWEST BABY....

Before you get to the picture, a little bit about how this came to be.
A while back ~a very good friend who is a lampwork bead artist and myself were talking about silver core~lined beads and the tools that were available to accomplish these. Basically what this is ~ is a tube rivet ~ but in all seriousness can you imagine me trying to accomplish this with a hammer ~ not likely!!!
A kazillion emails flew back and forth ~ I was loving the idea but the cost was soooooo prohibitive ~ in excess of US$300!!! I DON"T THINK SO!!! Not for something that I just wanted to have a "play" with and had no idea if it would work for me.
Any way long story short ~ she sent me a link to the IMPRESS BEAD LINER tool by Dave Fousek at Art in the Round. OH BOY!!! EXCITEMENT PLUS!! Looked easy enough to use ~ the price was DEFINITELY right ~ now what did I have to lose, other than a lot less $$ than elsewhere on the web!! So, as I am want to do ~ none of this will I or won't I ? ~ I just did!
I seriously love this little gadget ~ it's a walk in the park to use. As I mentioned before ~ the scariest part is getting the hole in the glass without it turning into flying, very sharp shrapnel, but I have finally found a way that works for me. So all going well ~ there will be more to come....

A little bit about this particular pendant (which is going up for auction on eBay this coming Sunday) ~ the most gorgeous red ripple glass from Bullseye, a little bit of hand engraving on brick coloured satin dichro, the tubing (sterling silver) is 6mm OD and the bail is made from Argentium sterling silver and my trusty blow torch.
I am VERY happy with how this piece has all come together :^)

No comments: